We are daily driving a 1988 R10 Suburban, for work and play!

Below is a log of our escapades, fixes, and other details that anyone who daily drives an older vehicle might find interesting.
 1988 Suburban July 2019
 1988 Suburban August 2019
 1988 Suburban October 2019
 1988 Suburban November 2019
 1988 Suburban December 2019
 1988 Suburban February 2020


July 2019

After a few local trips, it was time to break the Suburban in for real. A 900 mile trip to Florida from Pennsylvania. What could possibly go wrong? Fairly quickly we found out a previous owner had spliced together the high and low beams at the headlights, which resulted in the wiring overheating and constantly triggering the breaker in the light switch. Since half the drive was at night, it was a pain and we finally gave up and waited for the sun to come up before continuing.

Read about our fix of the problem here. This also eventually ended up melting some paths in the guage cluster before we traced down the exact problem.

Overall the vehicle did very well. There was almost no squeaks and rattles, far less than expected for an older vehicle, and probably only the same amount it came from the factory with. The drivetrain ran perfectly. We recorded a gas mileage of 18 MPG average for the whole trip. The cruise control was intermittantly choosing not to work after a while. We will look at that when we have time. In the meanwhile it sort of works. When it wants to.

1988 Chevrolet Suburban

This vehicle had a remote start/keyless entry system installed by a previous owner, which adds nice convenience while being basically invisible and preserving the classic look since our Suburban came factory equipped with electric locks. The steering is adjusted properly and tracks well, and drives straight and smooth on the highway.

             --Back to top--


August 2019

The next large task for our Suburban was to drive back up to Pennsylvania from Florida, and haul back a trailer load of tools, equipment, and household items. The trip north went fine, but as we reached our destination we realized the damage from the previous light circuit overload had worked its toll on the guage cluster. The internal lights were not operating, making it difficult to drive at night.

1988 Chevrolet Suburban gauge cluster

We soldered a wire across the gap melted into the trace by the overload so we could get back home again with operating guage cluster lights. We will fix this properly at a later date, and hopefully make some much needed updates to the guages as well while still keeping a period and factory look. In the meantime, we hitched up the trailer and loaded up for the trip back south. We ended up with about 4,000 lbs gross trailer weight and a few hundred in the back of the truck.

1988 Chevrolet Suburban towing

It squats a lot when loaded, and we had balanced the tongue weight fairly well. The suspension does not seem to like towing and hauling. We will have to improve the suspension later. We headed out and made our way back south, uneventfully. The Suburban hauled wonderfully (if a little too light on the front), and the gas mileage dropped about 5 MPG, down to 13.

             --Back to top--


October 2019

To make hauling and towing more stable, we added lift blocks for the rear springs after determining the spring sag when loaded was normal. The springs checked out ok, but raising the rear of the vehicle just slightly would make it level when hauling. A few loaded trailer runs verified this. Sadly we were in a hurry and did not document this.

Fixing the cruise control proved more difficult. The wiring for the switch where it passed through the steering column from the stalk was worn and was starting to fray into the copper, providing an intermittent effect. Read about our troubleshooting and repair of this system here.

             --Back to top--


November 2019

This tow dolly followed us home, and after some repair work seems to match our Suburban quite nicely!

1988 Chevrolet Suburban with tow dolly

We used it to bring home a 1978 El Camino, which is in need of some TLC. The Suburban towed the El Camino quite nicely and smoothly.

1978 Chevrolet El Camino

             --Back to top--


December 2019

Although we had preserved the orignal headliner in our restoration, it was starting to show too much age. It had begun to sag in spots, and had a few small issues. It was time for a change. We pulled it out and stripped off the fabric and backing, down to the bare backing board.

1988 Chevrolet Suburban bare headliner

We purchased headliner material and adhesive, and after carefully preparation applied the headliner to the bare board.

1988 Chevrolet Suburban headliner material

After allowing the adhesive to dry overnight, we trimmed the edges and cut out the holes as necessary

1988 Chevrolet Suburban headliner trimming

Then we installed both pieces of the new headliner and, and all the associated trim and ceiling fixtures.

1988 Chevrolet Suburban headliner

             --Back to top--


February 2020

We finally had some time for some maintenance on our suburban. For a while now it has been illuminating the 'Check Engine' light after about twenty minutes of driving. We took some time to pull the codes, and found a code 32 and 45.

The code 32 is 'EGR valve error'. We first examined the EGR valve, and immediately determined a vacuum hose was missing. We replaced this hose according to the hose routing diagram on the vehicle and hopefully this will resolve the issue.

The code 45 is 'Rich exhause'. We aren't sure about this one right off the bat, so the first trial is to see if resolving the code 32 affects this one at all since that was an obvious problem. We will have to drive it for a while and see what happens.

             --Back to top--

Pintrest link Facebook link Etsy store Aftcra store Zibbet store Ebay store
Site design and copyright Tradecraft Specialties, 2014 - 2020